Wednesday, January 27, 2021

When the Rain Starts Falling

 I love everything about a good storm especially I don't have to go outside.

I love sitting in the house and listening to the rain hitting the windows. I love the wind screaming from the heavens.   I even love the downed tree branches as ling as they don't do any real damage. I feel safe and protected inside in my cozy little house, knowing the rain is going to stay out there. I can just sit back and enjoy it.

Being from the south, I am used to A LOT of storms.  When I was a kid, tornado season would freak me the fuck out. I would spend all day watching the Weather Channel and track storms as they moved across the country. I would wait for that tornado watch or warning.  I would be so scared when I heard the sirens start blaring.   I still get a little nervous now anytime the sirens go off even if I know they are just being tested. That being said, I lived in a world where nothing bad could ever happen to me (the good old days) so I really don't think I was THAT scared. I think a lot of it was liked the excitement.  Now that I have gotten older, I would give anything for a good storm chase. I say that NOW.  Seriously, I do miss a good storm. We don't get so many of those in California, so I am always thankful when they come my way.

I find the rain and wind unbelievably cozy. I have a stack of things I like to do to celebrate this coziness.  Here is my list:

*Bundling up in my coziest clothes.  Today, it's my RBG SUPER DIVA sweatshirt, my Gap sweatpants which are too big, my new sleep sweater from Torrid (Trust me on this, everyone needs a good sleep sweater), warm socks, and frizzy hair pulled back with a bedazzled clip.  Everything on my person right now is super cozy.

*A cat (s).   The rain and wind were made for cats. I find nothing better than a good feline snuggle buddy at times like this.  I have an enormous black fluff ball at my side right now.

*Low lights.  Today, I turned on my LED candles, my diffuser with soft green light, and the fairy light in my living room.  When I settle in to watch TV later, every light in the living room is going OFF.

*A good book (s).   I am not sure that I will get to my stack today, but I have them out just in case.

*Blankets.   These are essential.  Today, I am piled up with the cat blanket, a beautiful pink furry one, a blue one that was a gift from work, and I am a hot second from wrapping all the way up in my Star Wars blanket.

*Warm tea and/or coffee.  French roast was on the menu for this morning. 

*Movies and TV shows.  In particular, Falcon Crest "Stormy Weather" is a favorite.  I plan to put this on later as I am settling in my bed for the night. If I had planned this out better, I would have spent the day watching Harry Potter.

*Waking up in the middle of the night or early in the morning and listening to the rain hit the windows.  Today, the wind sounded SO ANGRY, and I loved everything about it.  I especially love it when I know I don't have anywhere to be.

*Soup.  Today's menu:  Tortellini and mushroom soup made in the Instant Pot.  HEAVEN.

Talk to me, world.  What are some things that make you happy and cozy during the rain?

Happy Wednesday!



2 comments:

the rainbow connection

 Now that quarantine is winding down and I am all vaccinated up, I have made plans to do a ridiculous amount of things:  I am getting drinks...